Boot sequence on Ubuntu 14.04
David Harel
2014-10-05 18:14:08 UTC
Greetings,

I hastily tried to upgrade from 10.04 to 14.04 using do-relase-upgrade
It turned out to be a bad idea.
Now after boot I get something like "can not mount /" and then it suggests
that I will type (among other things) M for maintenance (start a shell)
First flaw I noticed is missing init functions typically in
/lib/lsb/init_functions.d
I also noticed that init_functions file is not up to date so I copied them
from a stable14.04 installation. This operation enabled running them
scripts in /etc/init.d and also the service command.
Also I had to create a directory /run/network so ifup -a will start.
Still I couldn't figure out what step in the boot process I am missing that
fails to mount /
Currently I setup the services on this server manually including:
mount -rw,remount /
mountall
networking
ifup -a // Had to do it separately.
smbd
nmbd
ssh
postgresql-8.4
apache2

the server is running in full but I guess it has some security issues.
I can not use the init command (i.e. init 2) to initiate the machine. It
reboots and I have to start all over again.

I intend to install a new server instead but for curiosity sake I want to
keep the bad server in order to learn more about upstart.

I did not find any articles about boot sequence with upstart other than how
to build rc files and a few about the conf files in /etc/init

Will appreciate some good reading on the subject.

Thanks.

David Harel
Amuka
E.S. Rosenberg
2014-10-07 20:30:58 UTC
DId you verify that everything had finished installing w/o error?
For interrupted installs:
dpkg --configure -a

and then:
apt-get update && apt-get autoclean && apt-get dist-upgrade && apt-get
autoremove

Would make sure that everything was installed properly, what you decribe to
me sounds like a system that didn't actually finish it's upgrade/install
process and was rebooted.

HTH, chag sameach,
Amichai Rotman
2014-10-08 23:12:34 UTC
Just a shot in the dark:

I think that some time after 10.04, the fstab entries refer to the devices
by their UUID, instead of /dev/sdX.