sd card file system on android
sara fink
2014-09-23 07:04:19 UTC
Hello All

I am looking for phone models with android (maybe version number) that
support sd card formated with ext2 or ext3. Preferable ext2 since it's not
journaled.

I'd like to save big files (1-2gb each file) on the sd.

Thanks
Rabin Yasharzadehe

Mord Behar
sara fink
Rabin Yasharzadehe
2014-09-23 12:13:13 UTC
It depends on the device,
But probably all will support FAT (not exFAT) as it's the default for the
external SDCARD.

--
Rabin
Efraim Flashner
2014-09-23 14:02:36 UTC
I've heard that some Samsung phones are running F2FS to increase
performance/decrease NAND wear. To me it seems likely that if they're
enabling that then they wouldn't be squeamish about enabling ext2/3/4.

I think the sd card I used in my htc one v was ext4 formatted, but I
don't remember now. I can check later, depending on how chag
preperations go this evening.

-Efraim

Post by sara fink
What is already enabled in the kernel? FAT/ext2/ext3 ?
efraim.flashner-***@public.gmane.org 4096R/CA3D8351 created: 2013-10-08
GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D 14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351
sara fink
Rabin Yasharzadehe
2014-09-23 20:27:51 UTC
exFAT <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT> don't have the same limitation
like FAT,
And there some (custome) kernels out there which come with exFAT support.

--
Rabin
Post by sara fink
Thanks Efraim. I will appreciate it. I can wait a day or two.
@Rabin, I'm not interested in fat due to the size limit.
Shlomo Solomon
2014-09-24 02:41:41 UTC
The original poster mentioned wanting to save files larger than 2 Gb.
The limit on Fat32 is 4Gb, so I don't see the problem.

Post by Rabin Yasharzadehe
It's a kernel future, and you will have to root the device to
be able and change the mount option for the sdcard (on /system
partition).
--
Rabin
http://the-solomons.net
Sent by Claws Mail 3.9.0 - KDE 4.10.5 - LINUX Mageia 3
Efraim Flashner
2014-09-24 07:04:26 UTC
Just tried ext2 formatted, my htc one v says that it's an unsupported
filesystem

sara fink
Efraim Flashner
2014-09-27 18:56:01 UTC
It offered to format the card as FAT for me

-Efraim

On Sat, 27 Sep 2014 00:23:16 +0300
Post by sara fink
So, what filesystem it uses?
Post by Rabin Yasharzadehe
It depends on the device,
But probably all will support FAT (not exFAT) as it's the
default for the external SDCARD.
--
Rabin