OT: languages in Google Maps
Mord Behar
2014-08-11 13:33:12 UTC
I'm trying to embed a Google Map on a website, and since most of the target
audience is non-English readers, I want the map to be in Hebrew.
So I set my Google settings to be Hebrew, and got an embed code from
Google. Now Google pointed out to me that each visitor will view a map
appropriate for them (I think it refers to Places only). But when I tried
to view it on the website, the map is in English. I then noticed that even
though my map is in Hebrew, the little floating window I get to get an
embed code shows the map in English.
Does Google not support Hebrew for embedded maps? Or is there some way to
force it?
Tzafrir Cohen
2014-08-12 04:52:01 UTC
Post by Mord Behar
I'm trying to embed a Google Map on a website, and since most of the target
audience is non-English readers, I want the map to be in Hebrew.
So I set my Google settings to be Hebrew, and got an embed code from
Google. Now Google pointed out to me that each visitor will view a map
appropriate for them (I think it refers to Places only). But when I tried
to view it on the website, the map is in English. I then noticed that even
though my map is in Hebrew, the little floating window I get to get an
embed code shows the map in English.
Does Google not support Hebrew for embedded maps? Or is there some way to
force it?
Have you considered OpenStreetMaps?

By default the language is similar to Google's (the country's language
is preffered), but that policy is easy to change:
https://toolserver.org/~osm/locale/he.html

If there's a specific area that s still not properly translated, let me
know and I'll try to help translating it. I try to keep to Hebrew
Wikipedia translations of names as they are normally sane and
consistent.
--
Tzafrir Cohen | tzafrir-/eSpBmjxGS4dnm+***@public.gmane.org | VIM is
http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir-8fiUuRrzOP0dnm+***@public.gmane.org | | friend
Diego Iastrubni
2014-08-12 07:20:29 UTC
OSM is a great promise. But not usable in a real world.

1) The servers are slow. Loading maps takes for ever.
2) Using tilemaps is nice, but this maps that rotating the map will not fix the text
location according to the orientation of your map.
3) They are very ugly.

To the original answer:
append this to the URL

?hl=es
?hl=iw
Mord Behar
2014-08-12 07:59:54 UTC
Post by Diego Iastrubni
OSM is a great promise. But not usable in a real world.
1) The servers are slow. Loading maps takes for ever.
2) Using tilemaps is nice, but this maps that rotating the map will not fix the text
location according to the orientation of your map.
3) They are very ugly.
Yeah, I have similar reservations about OSM. It's a good initiative, and I
hope it takes off, but it still needs more time and development for it to
be as useable as other options.
Post by Diego Iastrubni
append this to the URL
?hl=es
?hl=iw
Um... neither of those seems to have any effect.
http://pastebin.com/hCZB0M4A
E.S. Rosenberg
2014-08-12 09:58:55 UTC
If this is for Israel I don't know if they fixed it yet but in the past I
noticed often that embedded maps had nothing inside the borders of Israel
(which may have been a copyright issue).

Also don't forget the users' browser will send the users' language
preference in the GET request for the embedded map, so why pin the language?

Regards,