How do I debug this (mailman)?
Shachar Shemesh
2014-10-10 12:38:29 UTC
I'm trying to set up mailman on a new host (transferring my VPS to a new
machine). This is running Debian. Mailman is set up, shows up in the web
interface. I transferred the mailing list. I'm trying to send myself a
password reminder, and.... nothing.

The postfix logs don't show anything at all.
/var/lib/mailman/qfils/virgin shows something that looks like the
password reminder
Nothing appears in my inbox.

All tips on the internet say to look for the mailer's logs to find out
what's wrong, but the mailer doesn't show any logs at all.

Ideas?

Shachar
Amos Shapira
2014-10-10 13:30:34 UTC
mailman logs?
I mean - if the MTA doesn't say anything about this then perhaps the client
haven't sent anything?
Daniel Shahaf
2014-10-11 21:24:10 UTC
Post by Shachar Shemesh
I'm trying to set up mailman on a new host (transferring my VPS to a new
machine). This is running Debian. Mailman is set up, shows up in the web
interface. I transferred the mailing list. I'm trying to send myself a
password reminder, and.... nothing.
The postfix logs don't show anything at all.
/var/lib/mailman/qfils/virgin shows something that looks like the
password reminder
Nothing appears in my inbox.
All tips on the internet say to look for the mailer's logs to find out
what's wrong, but the mailer doesn't show any logs at all.
Ideas?
Shachar
Could that be caused by MX records for the list not yet pointing at the
new host?

i.e., perhaps the new mailman instance is not handling the list yet
because MX records don't point at it (the new mailman instance).

HTH

Daniel
Shachar Shemesh
2014-10-12 03:00:00 UTC
Post by Daniel Shahaf
Could that be caused by MX records for the list not yet pointing at
the new host? i.e., perhaps the new mailman instance is not handling
the list yet because MX records don't point at it (the new mailman
instance). HTH Daniel
It /could/, but I find it unlikely. The local MTA considers those
domains to be local, and does local delivery for them. Also, mailman is
not bound to only handle locally handled domains, so long as the emails
reach it.

Either way, where are the logs?

Shachar
Amos Shapira

Geoff Shang
2014-10-13 09:17:46 UTC
Post by Shachar Shemesh
I'm trying to set up mailman on a new host (transferring my VPS to a new
machine). This is running Debian. Mailman is set up, shows up in the web
interface. I transferred the mailing list. I'm trying to send myself a
password reminder, and.... nothing.
The postfix logs don't show anything at all.
/var/lib/mailman/qfils/virgin shows something that looks like the
password reminder
Nothing appears in my inbox.
All tips on the internet say to look for the mailer's logs to find out
what's wrong, but the mailer doesn't show any logs at all.
Is there anything useful logged in /var/log/mailman ?

There's a lot of possibilities but we'll start with this.

Geoff.
Shachar Shemesh
2014-10-16 15:33:02 UTC
Post by Shachar Shemesh
I'm trying to set up mailman on a new host (transferring my VPS to a
new machine). This is running Debian. Mailman is set up, shows up in
the web interface. I transferred the mailing list. I'm trying to send
myself a password reminder, and.... nothing.
The postfix logs don't show anything at all.
/var/lib/mailman/qfils/virgin shows something that looks like the
password reminder
Nothing appears in my inbox.
All tips on the internet say to look for the mailer's logs to find out
what's wrong, but the mailer doesn't show any logs at all.
Ideas?
Shachar
The problem turned out to be quite simple. I forgot to run the mailman
daemon (it was not run when I installed mailman, probably because the
"mailman" mailing list was not defined at the time).

As for how to debug this: It is not clear why there were no logs. The
way I figured this out was because I found out that the mail was piling
in one of the mailman administrative directories. Googling that
directory's name brought me the answer.

Everyone, thanks for trying.

Shachar