GRUB after clonezilla
Aharon Schkolnik
2014-08-24 17:47:51 UTC
E.S. Rosenberg
2014-08-26 15:16:54 UTC
Are you sure that:
a. the error you get isn't coming from winload.exe
b. vista may not be capable from booting from an area beyond X MB from the
beginning of a disk....
Hi.
I used clonezilla to copy a NTFS (Vista) partition to a new disk.
There were no problems with the copy, and the new partition looks fine.
However, I can not get GRUB to boot from the new partition.
grub2-mkconfig does not create a menu entry for it.
menuentry "Vista" {
set root='(hd0,2)'
chainloader +1
}
But, when I try to boot from that entry, I get the error: invalid
signature.
File system: ntfs
Boot sector type: Windows Vista/7: NTFS
Boot sector info: According to the info in the boot sector, sda3
starts
at sector 230686720. But according to the info from
fdisk, sda3 starts at sector 211814400.
Operating System: Windows Vista
Boot files: /Windows/System32/winload.exe
File system: ntfs
Boot sector type: Windows XP: NTFS
Boot sector info: No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
Operating System: Windows Vista
Boot files: /Boot/BCD /Windows/System32/winload.exe
Yet, grub2-mkconfig still doesn't create an entry for the Vista partition.
Can anyone help ?
TIA.
--
The day is short, and the work is great, | Aharon Schkolnik
and the laborers are lazy, and the reward |
Aharon Schkolnik
2014-08-26 17:57:55 UTC