Hebrew File Names
Aharon Schkolnik
2014-08-21 07:21:50 UTC
shimi
2014-08-21 07:45:48 UTC
Hi.
I have some files with Hebrew names on an NTFS file system.
The file system is accessible from Linux but not from Vista (on the same
box) - Vista doesn't have a driver for the SCSI controller.
I want to transfer the files to a SATA disk on the same box - which is
accessible from Vista.
I tried tarring the files, but the Hebrew file names were unreadable under
Vista.
UUID=F2ACCD26ACCCE5E7
/WindowsD/ ntfs ro,nls=iso8859-8,users 0 0
I believe NTFS uses UTF-16 for filenames, not iso8859-8 ?

-- Shimi
Shachar Shemesh
2014-08-21 07:54:45 UTC
Most likely, your linux uses utf8, not iso-8859-8, for encoding. Adjust your mount option accordingly.

Shachar
Hi.
I have some files with Hebrew names on an NTFS file system.
The file system is accessible from Linux but not from Vista (on the same box) - Vista doesn't have a driver for the SCSI controller.
I want to transfer the files to a SATA disk on the same box - which is accessible from Vista.
I tried tarring the files, but the Hebrew file names were unreadable under Vista.
UUID=F2ACCD26ACCCE5E7                                   /WindowsD/              ntfs   ro,nls=iso8859-8,users 0 0
Any ideas how I can copy the files and preserve the Hebrew file names ?
TIA.
Aharon
--
The day is short, and the work is great, | Aharon Schkolnik
and the laborers are lazy, and the reward |
impatient. - Ethics Of The Fathers Ch. 2 | 054 3344135
Aharon Schkolnik
2014-08-21 12:20:29 UTC